5.07.2010

HW 53 - Survey Analysis

Part 1:

Took the survey.

Part 2:

While taking this survey, I have two feelings towards it. One is the result does not matter, why should I take it. Since all the answers are anonymous, people can put random choices, and therefore even though I did it, is hard to judge or analyze based on the results. People might not even take it seriously, which it makes me ask myself what’s the point of doing it other than it is just a random survey that is long and annoying. But another feeling that I have while taking this survey is taking a little risk of sharing my privacy and trusting the results do matter. Some of the questions are interesting, and it didn’t really bother me overall. But some of the questions that I feel it went over the line even though it is anonymous are the sexuality part of the survey. Since I try to do the survey with a serious manner, answering those questions are a bit uncomfortable even though my answer is anonymous.

I did put some thought into the survey, and I thought they are quite interesting to analyze as a whole if everybody take them seriously. I enjoy taking the family and friends part of the survey, because I have been dealing with these relationships the most in my life right now. But I did not do the short answer questions in this survey, and I think the reason why is pretty obvious to most of the others. Overall, taking the survey makes me pause and think a lot, because lots of them have to do with rating the others. It starts to get me into thinking how I should rate the importance of the others and is hard to come up with the exact answers doing the survey. Especially talking about relationships with the other is always hard to come up with the exact/definite choice, because they are situational and constantly evolving every second.

Part 3:

Looking at the results of the survey, some of the categories are hard to draw conclusion of. So I would pick family and friendship to analyze the results. While looking at the family results, I am surprise that 42.3% of the people trust their family, 44.2% of the people values family, 42.3% as their family values them, 44.2% chose the choice “members of your family look out for and take care of each other”, but yet for the category “you have more than 20 minute of ‘face time’ per day with a caring adult” is 25.0% no, not usually, not often. Looking at it as a whole, I feel that I am similar to the other 51 person who took the survey. But I am surprise that the highest percentage of people saying they value their family do not have more than 20 minute of face time per day with their adults. This is strange, and I guess this have to do with the inability of young adults talking to people who are older than them such as their parents. Perhaps we should learn how to communicate and have a healthy family with our family members in class because based on the results; it seems people do love their family a lot with trust.

As connecting to friends, 35.3% chooses “friends come before family”. Also 30.8% says their parents know who they really are which is similar to 34% of people saying their friends know them. If family and friends do know who you really are, why people still prefer friends more than family? It is because they are taking friends as their own benefit, but not for family? 32.7% agree that their friends are just entertainment, something to do, people to hang out with. This seems most people treat friends as almost an object in own perspective, which I am not surprise because some of my answer choices are very different from most of the people for this category. This is interesting, and I start to wonder is that what friends really are? Or if there’s gender difference, do girls look at friends differently from guys? Other than the difference that I did not choose friends come before family, most of my answers are pretty similar to the class, and I am surprise that we are all similar for most of the results. I guess this is because of our age and we are from the same school, same class?

Part 4:

I don’t really know how to compare the survey that we did to the processional ones (2007 National Youth Risk Behavior Survey), and I personally like our own surveys better. However, trying to compare these two surveys, one of the similarities that I found was the topic concerning whether teens are “sexually active” or not. Both surveys reveal that teens are often sexually active at a young age. But one of the major differences between these two surveys is that once the survey is taken by more population, it shows that more kids have taken drugs or alcohol. As comparing to our own quick survey, the percentage of not using illegal drugs is pretty high. But in general, is hard to compare the surveys, because ours is easy and simple, but the professional ones drew conclusion and specifically concerning on certain issues on teens.

No comments:

Post a Comment