10.07.2009

HW 11 - Self Experiment 1


During the beginning of the school year, I have decided not to bring too many digital representation devices with me on my way to school. So I left my MP3 at home and only bring my cell phone to school every day until now. Even I have my cell phone; I manage not to text more than 5 times a day. I guess this could count as one of the experiment that I did before the course started. Since a lot of people listen to their iPod while on their way to school, on subway, walking, even in class, I think music plays a big role in many people's life. Although I did not really know why people are so attached to their iPod, I do know that many people feel uncomfortable without it. Thus, I decided to talk about this experiment that I coincidentally did even before we all start to learn about this topic.

During the first week without my MP3, my reaction to it was really just uncomfortable. I tempted to look for things to do and look at on the subway such as the advertisement banners or just staring at the passengers. While I was walking to school or back to the station, I started to be aware of my surroundings other than just listening to the music as I used to be. Basically, the first week is completely vacant and annoyed. It feels extremely dull on the train and since there are no distraction, it almost seem as staying in the reality mode all the time. More importantly, I was about to bring it with me again because I cannot stand the “quietness” and “blank stare” on the subway. However, I think this whole process makes me became more aware and conscious about myself.

As the following week pass by, I start to feel more comfortable without the headphones. I even feel a little bit wired when I see 8 out of 10 people on the subway are with their headphones on the whole time. I wonder if it is just a way for people to escape reality. Many times I see people begging for money with paper cups on the subway, and many people just look at their iPod and ignored. I guess this is how many people live their life most of the time, isolated. In another perspective, I think it is understandable in this circumstance. Bunch of people are being forced to stay in a small area with crowded strangers it is to consider a very awkward scene. You do not know the others but you just happened to sit next to them or being very close to them for the whole time. Furthermore, without some distraction, it is even the most awkward moment in people’s life every single day.

Throughout this experiment, I find music much more important but at the same time I learned how to appreciate my surroundings more. Even when I am listening to my music or texting on my cell phone, I became more aware of myself. Whether I will bring my MP3 with me again or not, I still haven’t decided yet. But I think I will, because I do need this kind of stimulation to bring myself to another state of mind whether it is the reality or just fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment