10.04.2009

HW 9 - Response to Comments

Richard, 

I appreciate your time reading my blog and actually have left some thoughtful comments with effort that tells me you do understand my writings. Additionally, I am glad that you like my video. Thank you!

When you mentioned how time flies when I am distracted is a point that makes me reconsider. You make me thought about how time actually goes by. In the moment, I think I am making use of the time that I have and it is actually enjoyable. But how come when I looking back at it, it turns out to be the most meaningless moment that I ever have? This really did lead me to think deeper hopefully. As you told me in your comment to “view things more deeply”, I think your brief comment did somehow help me to touch more perspective about this topic. 

The contradiction that you talked about between how it feels and looks like, it leads me to a further thought into this topic. When I was consuming to the digital devices, to me at the moment, I think time passed pretty fast and enjoyable. It even gets to the point that it is so addicted that I felt like I never have enough. But reviewing back to the moment from my video and actually sat down watching back at my life at the moment. It is certainly very dull or even spiritless. I think this is a very insightful question to think about, “Why the moment seems so enjoyable but people do not look back to it as one of the meaningful moment in their life?” Different from going on a trip or a birthday party that you have attended, even these moments have passed away; you do think back to it and say to yourself, that was a great moment. Now thinking about it, I think this is the biggest contrast between digital and non-digital life. One is that you always feels good and looks good, but the other only feels good, but it doesn’t look good. From my memory, I think you did touched a little about this thought too that you only are able to see what others are doing, but you are not in it. It is kind of depressing.

I think both in my post and yours have demonstrated the differences between how it feels and looks although we both did not really deepen this argument. You focused more on how it actually turned out but I focused more on the moment I interacted with it. Thus, you are going to the direction of final product, but I lie more on the process- beginning vs. end.

Both you and I have pay close attention to feelings and appearances in the posts and comments. Why do you think the digital devices could be so enjoyable in the moment, but the sense of fulfillment could be gone so fast?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinorah,

I appreciate that you have dedicated time to read my post and left me some comments with such a warm tone. I am glad that it makes you reconsider about your interaction with your family members. This really shows why reading each others’ post and comment is helpful.

First of all, I am glad that you mentioned “technology is part of” my life. This is very true and it shows you did understand my post overall. By saying that, you actually make me reconsider something that I never thought of to talk about in my post. When I am eating with my family, I always feel like we are all together and interacting with each other while the television is on. But after you shared your experience with how you eat with your family, I realized that even though they are surrounded by me, they are actually not here. I am just me, sitting there eat and watch TV shows. I am not really “BEING” with them. (This is great point! It is like I can sit with strangers and still do the same) Thanks for your suggestion that caused me to be able to expand on this idea about how I interact with my family. 

When you said you have nothing to talk to with your family when the television is off, I feel very connected and similar to you. Sometimes when there are no TV shows that we all like to watch when we are eating, I tempt to find something beforehand so there will always be something to entertain everybody. This turns out to be a habit for my family, and we all are so getting used to have something there to watch. When there is nothing to watch, we did at first have something to talk about. But after awhile, it became so awkward that we just stare at each other. This makes me think about the question: Are we really running out of topics to talk about without these distractions or we just don’t have the will to open ourselves up on the dinner table? 

In your blog, it seems like you focused more on how the digital devices have impacted you while I focused more on the process/moment that I am interacting with them. You talked more on how it distracts you from doing what you are actually doing while I lie more on how enjoyable that moment is but not afterwards. 

Both in your post/comment and mine, we both emphasize the point that these digital devices could be one of the things that impacted us the most in our lives. But it seems like we did not really draw the line to clarify whether it is good or bad in the long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment