9.30.2009

HW 8 - Triangular Comments 2

Dinorah :),

I like your video although you do not look like you are 'having fun' at all. However, the message behind the video is relevant and obvious to most of the 'outcasts'. Additionally, your feelings towards your video have make the post even easier and better for the readers like me.

If I am not wrong, the few arguments that you have stated in your post are that 1) digital devices are one of the big distraction 2) the issue is not really caused by people do not have as much physical experience as the times before the boom of digitalization, but the way we behave or act towards the others 3) keeping a balance of using these devices in daily life is definitely acceptable. In another word, digital devices are not as bad as we seem they are, but we should be aware of the way we act towards these things such as keeping a constant habit.

I like the way you said you will "remind" your sister that what she is doing, instead of just telling her not to do so. Of course, telling someone not to do but ourselves doing it will certainly create confusion for the others. I think this point is very resonant to most of the people, because we do make mistakes even though we know that is wrong. So I am very agree with your point that it is the the digitals' fault, but our behavior towards the others and our surroundings.

Overall, your post is well written. To improve, I think you can deepen the point that you mentioned in the second to the last paragraph about "distinguishing the line between cyber world and reality. Perhaps, discuss how should people draw the line to keep the balance or the line did not even existed. Furthermore, lead your arguments to another perspective - alternatives. (e.x.: is it possible to keep a balance in using these additive devices?...etc.)

After reading your post, it helps me to reconsider my own life. I often tempt to think that using these digital devices will only create addiction. But I never really focus on the differences of my attitude and behavior after interacting with these things. To me, I think it did change me in some ways like my daily habits. Sometimes I even ignored people because of paying way too much attention on the screen. This is a great point that makes me to think of my behaviors once again.

Once again, thanks for writing a great post that shows you actually thought about this topic. At the same time, that triggers my realization.

I apologize that I did not post these comments earlier. (I have them in my blog draft, but forget to post them in your blog as comments)

Bao Lin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Richard,

First of all, I have to say that I like your post with the tone of irony. Additionally, your video and the post overall really did kept me to read on.

In my perspective while reading your post, I think you are mostly enhancing the ideas of disadvantages of using digital devices. Such as keys words like “waste of time” “doing nothing but sitting there”, and “not really living the same experience”. Same to your video, it distributed the same ideas as your written part but a piece of work with visuals.

I think your post can connect to most of the people since is one of the common ones [starring at the screen]. While I am watching it, I can sort of imagine 100 times more of the population will look the same as what you reveal in the video. Most of the people just got drag into another world while looking at the screen and the person who looked at it, will find being IGNORED. (If you did seem some of the videos from other students in Andy’s course, including Andy’s and mine, I find your video very similar to theirs.)

Before giving you suggestions of how to make the post better, I have to say that your post is a great post with some crucial ideas that is worth expanding. But somehow, you just like to keep it short and simple. So here are my ideas for you to make the post better: 1) I recommend you to copy and paste what you have written to Microsoft word and just do spell check OR you can just click on the abc check icon when you are posting the blog. When I was reading it, it felt like there are many fragments. 2) After you posted your blog, proof read it. 3) For the 3rd paragraph, when you talked about how you will now allow others to spend so much time on these things. I think it is a great point that is worth expanding. Perhaps talk about the reason why, not just saying because it is bad for them. But why you know it is bad for them and so to you, but you still decided to consume to these digital devices. Then from there, explore further to this ideas. 4) The 4th paragraph is definitely something that you can elaborate on, such as why is it depressing, what is the main reason other than just looking at others being active but you are not. 5) Provide examples to support your arguments will help make it stronger

By the way, I am not sure if you just like to keep it simple or you just decided not to dig deep into what you are saying. Either one, I think it is worth expanding if you are looking for improvements.

I like your last paragraph a lot, because it is something that I never thought of or consider in my life. Now I thought about it, I often find excuses to just keep consuming to these digital stuffs. I felt like I am interacting with it, so I am actually doing something while the fact that I am not doing anything. This is a great point, and you make me think of how it actually looks like when people are doing something. Does only active count as doing something?

You do have great ideas in your post and I hope you will keep it up. I appreciate that you are in my group and you did your work on time! Therefore, no one held anybody back from lack of homework on time habits. (This is to Dinorah also). Hopefully we all will keep it up and might actually did help each other in some way regarding on grades.

I apologize that I did not post these comments earlier. (I have them in my blog draft, but forget to post them in your blog as comments)

Bao Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment